Friday, March 26, 2010

Midwesterners have accents

My freshman year in college, everyone insisted that I had an accent. I mean everyone. Unfortunately, I refused to believe them. There are New York accents and Southern accents, Texas drawls and Boston accents. I never had heard of a Midwest accent. Well, let it be known that it exists.

Freshman year, I remember shopping at Target one day for some tube socks to wear to softball practice, and when I asked the clerk where the socks were, he gave me a blank stare. The friend who I was with lightly touched my arm and said, "She means sooocks." I think he thought I was asking for a saxophone, or some grocery sacks. However, despite this incident I still refused that there was anything wrong with the way I spoke. I think over time it phased itself out. At least, I hope it did.

Yesterday as I was going through some old photos, I came across a video I had taken during a weekend my mom and I spent in Colorado for my student orientation at UCCS. I think it was raining or something, so we were bored and trying to entertain ourselves. I'm not even going to upload the video because it is too embarrassing. Anyway, listening to my Midwestern accent was like nails on a chalkboard, so I apologize to everyone who had to put up with me. I also apologize to everyone I ignored when they told me I had an accent. I'm sorry if I made your ears bleed.

2 comments:

  1. haha, it is so true about midwesterner's! but you only realize it down the road after you have been out of the midwest for a while. when we go back to MN i always laugh at everyone there with their long a's and o's :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's funny you say that Rach...whenever I go visit my fam in northern Wisconsin, mine comes back in full force! It's so bad!

    ReplyDelete