Friday morning Mike had to go into work for Spouse's Day at the squadron. I decided not to participate because my parents were in town, so instead Mom, Dad, and I took Crockett for a walk at the Petroglyph National Monument. As I understand it, petroglyphs are pictures or symbols that have been carved into the rocks by Indians. It is pretty neat to walk around to try and find the carvings in the piles and piles of rock and wonder what story is being told.
Dad, Crockett, & Me
Every once in a while we would come across a smiley face or some modern-looking carving that didn't look like it belonged with the carvings of deer, lizards, and other animals. After seeing several of these "unauthentic" petroglyphs, we started to question all the ones that we saw. "Is that a real one?" we would ask. If we felt it looked professionally done, we ruled that it was authentic, and usually took a picture of it. If those smiley faces we criticized were in fact real, there's probably some Indian rolling over in his grave.
This one has to be real! It looks like a lizard or something (not sure about the smiley face in the bottom right corner...)
Luckily Mike didn't have to stay at work too long, so Friday afternoon we went out shopping to find him a suit. Mike and I are going to Mike's best friend's (also named Mike) graduation from FTU (Fighter Training Unit) in a few weeks. My Mike does not like to wear his uniform any more than is absolutely necessary, so he wanted to buy a suit to wear to this and any other future events we might attend. He found an entire ensemble (shirt, tie, jacket, pants, shoes, belt) he really liked so what we thought would be a difficult task actually ended up being quite easy.
What was challenging was finding me a pair of shoes to wear to the ceremony. I bought a dress at Kohl's a week or so ago to wear to the graduation, and since all of my dressy shoes are in storage, I was on the hunt for a pair of heels. I thought this would be a fairly simple task, but we went to about 5 stores on Friday and I did not see anything that was even a little promising. Everything was either too gladiator looking and not formal enough, or reminded me of my high school prom.
We ended the day with a meal at the Standard Diner, a restaurant that Mike and I have now been to a few times and really like. (You know it is good when Mike and I have been there more than once...we usually are so into trying new things that we rarely go to the same place twice!) We had seen this place on the show 'Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives' on Food Network. They have awesome...everything. At least we had walked a lot earlier in the day to semi-make up for how much we ate at dinner!
Saturday we were planning on doing some touristy things outside, but the weather was crummy so we put everything off until Sunday in the hope that the weather would be better. Crockett got dropped off at doggie day care and we had the entire day to ourselves. We ate breakfast and walked around Nob Hill, a more artsy and liberal (but still very fun) area of Albuquerque and continued the hunt for my elusive pair of navy blue shoes. I had to laugh because Mike and my Dad were pointing out the UGLIEST pairs of blue shoes...and when I said "Uh, no thanks" they could not understand what was wrong with the shoes they were finding. I asked Mike, "You really cannot tell the difference between modern looking pumps and these grandma shoes?" They thought I was being too picky...but I just wanted to find something I liked and would wear again! (I am very happy with the pair I finally found.)
The dessert Dad & I decided to share...look how small it ended up being! We were so disappointed! Mike & Mom's piece of chocolate cake totally dwarfed our lemon tart...and they thought it was sooo hilarious!

No comments:
Post a Comment