Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The end of an era

About a year ago, we found out we were going to be moving to Montana. Thinking about it now, there was a LOT of buildup leading to that revelation. For weeks, it seemed all Mike and I could think about was where we would be moving. The whole "not knowing" part was very stressful. When we finally got the news, we were thrilled because a move to Montana meant we'd be stationed with family: Mike's brother Jon, his wife Rebecca, and their kids, Asher & Kaia.
 
I knew that we were being given a gift with this assignment, but only recently did I realize how truly awesome it was! We finally got to Montana in the early summer, and were told that we would have to wait several months for a house on base to open up. I am so thankful that during that waiting period, we did not have to stay in a hotel in an unfamiliar setting, but had family nearby to take care of us and introduce us to our new home. When we were given our house on base, we were only ONE block away from Jon & Rebecca's. What a blessing! It was so awesome to be able to walk on over and see Rebecca and Asher (and Kaia of course once she was born) on pretty much a daily basis. It was amazing to be able to see and hold our new precious niece literally less than an hour after she was born. It was so wonderful to have a great big family style Thanksgiving. We also got to witness Asher's first steps...which then turned into lots of chasing!

Sadly, the family PCS'ed (aka: moved) on Sunday to start the next chapter in their lives, and now, even though my freezer is full with all the food they were not able to take with them, I am left with what feels like a big empty hole in my daily existence. I guess you could say I got spoiled over the past six months and really got used to having family live only a block away.

Of course, this is not the end of the world. This morning when I woke up, the coffee maker still worked (thank goodness) and I still took a shower like normal and life will go on. But I will always look back on the time we spent stationed together with great fondness, for it really has been a wonderful gift and something that I'm truly grateful for.
Mike, me, Asher, Jon, Kaia, & Rebecca...we love you guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment