A New Year's resolution of mine was to exercise more. I realize that I probably make this very same resolution each year, only to fail miserably. I always start with the best of intentions, but slowly my motivation dies, and I am left sitting on the couch with a tub of Ben & Jerry's. It seems every time we move, or the seasons change, or whatever, that going to the gym falls by the wayside, and inevitably, I am left with snug pants and low self-esteem. Why is it that physical activity, something that I know is good for me, is so hard to carve out time in my daily routine for? I feel like this is something a lot of people struggle with. This year, I have come up with a foolproof plan (even for me) in setting my priorities straight and doing what is good for my health and my body.
I know you have all read magazine articles, or have a skinny, health-obsessed friend giving you tips like: "When you achieve your goal of going to the gym 5 times a week, reward yourself with a mani-pedi." "Treat yourself to a new pair of jeans." Ugh. Clearly these "tips" were created by someone with an unlimited amount of money and vanity to boot. Not that I don't enjoy a nice, relaxing pedicure or a new pair of jeans, but really, is something like this truly going to motivate you for an extended period of time? Not to mention, keep your bank account full? Now, if you ARE one of these lucky few, who can afford to exist on a gym membership, pedicures, and new jeans alone, I applaud you. But if you are like me, an average Jane Doe, and require a little something extra in the motivation department, read on and maybe you can benefit from my technique.
I recently read an article about motivation that stuck with me. It talked about a website that helps you to make a goal, and then penalizes you by deducting money (an amount that you set) from your bank account (and donating it to a charity) when you fall short. Hmmm, interesting.
Mike and I recently implemented an "allowance" rule. At the beginning of the month, we each set aside an amount of money to be used in whatever way we desire. This has been great, because we no longer feel guilt about going out to eat or to a movie (because dates come from our allowance too), or spending money on things the other person deems silly. Example: Mike can buy his video games, and I can buy my wine of the month. Instead of placing my faith in this website, I told Mike I would like to come up with some workout goals, and if not met, give him a sliver of my allowance. Obviously, he thought this was a great idea. There is nothing that would motivate me more than seeing my allowance money go towards purchasing some ridiculous shoot-em-up video game.
And so, Mike came up with the rules. (I asked him to. Please don't think he is forcing this upon me. Sometimes I will tell people that I have to pay my husband if I don't go to the gym, and they look at me with such sympathy in their eyes, like my hubbo is a real jerk. I then have to explain that I asked him to come up with a standard, and I have to pay if I fail to comply.) They are: going to the gym at least four times a week for an hour, and doing some type of strength exercises on at least 2 of those days. I have to pay him five dollars for each day per week that I am short. So, I could potentially owe him 80 dollars in a month of missed gym time. In the month or so that we have been doing this, I have not owed him a cent! I know I still have a long way to go, but let me take a second to proclaim: Woo hoo! Way to go me! I'll go ahead and pat myself on the back.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This is awesome! I grinned when I read that you'd devised a foolproof method, but you were right... this is great!
ReplyDeleteI need to do this. I can't wait to tell people that if I don't go to the gym, I have to give Jon money... haha!
I love it, Sarah! Although I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to something like this yet. :) I have a feeling I'd have to pay too much money.
ReplyDelete