Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Just Keep Running...

(School starts for me tomorrow, but it's still summer in blogland.)

Back in May, my friend Devon talked me into running a half-marathon in Missoula. I think there's something wrong with me, for this is the second time I have been convinced to run 13.1 miles for fun. And while I do enjoy running, I realize once and for all that I think its the post-run feeling of accomplishment I really love more than the activity of running itself. Call it a "runner's high" if you will. Anyway, I digress.

I ran into some issues during training for this race, one of them was fitting in runs during our vacation to Colorado, and the other was a foot injury that prevented me from running more than 8 miles during the training period. So basically, when race day came in July, I was just going to wing it and be happy with my results.

Well, holy cow, I think I should "wing it" more often.

I not only finished the race in 2 hours and 9 minutes (slightly better than my anticipated 10:00 mile pace) but I was able to tolerate the pain in my foot and run the entire way. It was pretty awesome, and I am still on a "runner's high" from that accomplishment.
Waiting to get my official finish time...thanks Mike for supporting me!
John & Devon finishing strong
Devon & me...thank goodness for friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment