Monday, September 5, 2011

Ode to Montucky

When we first heard we would be moving to Montana, many people responded the same way: "Oh...I'm sorry." Or, in a disgusted tone, "Where is that?" Or, "It doesn't get much worse than that." (Which to you pessimists out there who tried to get me down, I'm pleased as punch to say that your opinion didn't influence me one iota. And besides, "Montucky" is probably a thousand times better than where you are currently living.) To be honest, I was truly excited about moving here, because we would be near family. That experience is something I'm so thankful for. Aside from that large benefit, I did not know much else about what we were getting into.

We've now been here over a year, making little 712 Cedar the one place in this world where young Crockett has hung his hat the longest. Here, I've experienced some things I didn't expect. For example, a church Women's group going to a long-range rifle shooting clinic...and I am completely serious.  I've shoveled my driveway more than I care to recall, but I've seen eagles circling in the sky and swooping in for a fish. I've been freezing cold (-30 with about a negative thousand degree windchill) and I've been in awe of the beauty of God's creation. I've learned all about the Hutterites, and seen people wear ripped denim and flannel to a wedding. And through it all, good AND bad (because a Montana winter is definitely BAD), living here has turned out better than I ever thought it could be.

So with winter right around the corner for us up here in Big Sky Country, I leave you with pictures from an amazing Montana summer. It just goes to show that things aren't always what they seem.

Belt Creek & Sluice Boxes

Belt Creek


One of our new favorite things...visiting Montana breweries!

Pretty sunset

With friends on Holter Lake

Beautiful Holter

Mike wakeboarding

The latest craze...surfing behind the boat!

Lake McDonald in Glacier Nat'l Park

Allie, Samantha, & me

Apgar Lookout in Glacier

Apgar Lookout

Dearborn River

Mike fishing the Dearborn

2 comments:

  1. Sarah, I've absolutely loved your stories and pictures from the past year. Montana looks so amazingly beautiful and it sounds like you guys are having a wonderful time! I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying yourself out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely beautiful! Home is truly where the heart is :o) Sounds like you are blooming where you're planted!!

    ps Gotta keep the whole shooting range idea in mind for future Women's events at Crossroads.... :o)

    ReplyDelete