I am currently in the ABQ. I flew in yesterday for President's/Valentine's weekend because we knew, with Monday being a national holiday, that the hubby would not have work. Much to my delight, I was informed upon arrival that not only is this a 3-day weekend, but Mike has Friday off as well! Hooray! However, today he must fly in a simulator from 11 til 6, so even though I brought along a yoga DVD, I'm going to waste a little time with a post.
Mike is currently living in a hotel room. For a guy, this is amazing. What better way to spend a few months away from your wife than to get paid per diem (thus eating out every night) and to get to live like a slob? The maid is REQUIRED to come every three days. Her name, I'm told, is Lazarra, though Mike and his friends call her Lazer. I don't think she knows this, because she does not speak English. I think I might bust out some of my high school Spanish skills and attempt a conversation, though I'm not sure it will go much beyond "Hola."
Last time I came to visit, I had a stroke of genius. I packed sample bottles of shampoo, conditioner, & lotion, so that I did not have to check a bag. Instead of going to Walgreens in Albuquerque and just buying whatever, I was going to go to a department store makeup counter and ask for some face wash and moisturizer samples because I am somewhat picky about what I put on my face. On our way to Dillards, we passed a Sephora, who was specifically advertising that they were giving away free samples of wash/moisturizer. My Sephora consultant hooked me up, Mike sat in Sephora and looked uncomfortable amidst pre-teens and women with teases in their hair that would rival Snooki herself, and I walked away with a bag of samples which prevented me from packing that stuff when I came for this week. Great idea, right? (I'm pretty proud of myself, if you couldn't tell.)
The problem begins here: I may need to ask Lazer for some shampoo. I know to say "Yo necesito" for "I need" but I can't remember if "jabon" means ham or soap, which could be a problem. I could just look it up, but I think I'm going to make self-washing motions and see how that goes.
Before I sat down to write this, I was trying to figure out when the next National Holiday was, in the hopes that it will occur once Crockett and I are living here, and the three of us can plan a journey up to Colorado Springs to see Mike's brother, grandparents, and many of my old college friends & teammates. I found this crazy website that lists, literally, ALL holidays. I think there might be an obscure holiday every day. For example, did you realize that February is Adopt a Rescued Rabbit month? National Condom month? Spunky Old Broads Month? Craziness. As a matter of fact, today, February 11 is "Be Electrific Day." What does that mean? Maybe I'll wear a white shirt (because today is also "Wear a White Shirt Day") and head up to the library on base and look up the word "electrific" to figure out how I am supposed to act whilst wearing my white shirt. Personally, I can't wait for May 3. Why you ask? It's National Wear Two Different Colored Shoes Day! Won't that be fun? (For more obscure holidays, visit www.brownielocks.com)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

PS, this is probably the most random thing ever!
ReplyDeleteHow fun! :-) Glad you are having a fun day...
ReplyDeleteI think that shampoo is very similar in Spanish (again, I could look this up also, but why?). Maybe it's champu?!?! Try it out...jamon is ham, I know that for sure.
ReplyDelete