2010 has been a crazy year for the Scott's. At times, I feel like I am nothing more than the little metal shoe game piece in Monopoly, only every time I pass GO, I cannot collect $200 dollars and sometimes I get sent to jail. Or sometimes it's like Chutes & Ladders, where you can only get so far before it's inevitable that you will slide down a chute and have to start all over again. Or maybe it's like that game where you take a few steps forward, but then you pick a chance card, and it's something bad, and you have to go back a few steps.
But the best part is, I just got a "Get Out of Jail Free Card," I passed the last chute on the game board, and I drew a "Light at the End of the Tunnel" card. And I own the Boardwalk & Park Place. From here on out, I am just waiting to roll the dice and move ahead and end the game. The uncertainty of this year is almost done, and I have to say that I am relieved.
We were officially offered the house on Cedar Street last week, and duh, we accepted it! The current residents move out August 9, then housing maintenance goes in and does repairs, etc., and we will officially be able to move in the week of August 16-22! The house is the exact same layout as Jon & Rebecca's, so I know all our stuff will fit. And I LOVE it. The house is a block away from J&R's, so won't that be fun? And convenient? But the best thing is having that set date: August 16. This is no longer something ambiguous: "Uhhh, you will most likely get a house in three to six months." No way, we are done with ambiguous. We have a tangible date where we will have a house, and an actual address, and we will get our own things again and not be living out of suitcases anymore(For the record, its been six whole months. Yes friends, I have been wearing practically the same thing for this entire year.), and I can paint the walls, and we can finally put some roots in the ground.
In the meantime, we have quite a unique living situation. In the morning, Mike drops me off at J&R's so that I can watch the dogs. Mike goes to work, and I do whatever needs to be done. When he gets home, we hang out. Last night, for example, we went to his intramural softball game. (I'm not even going to get into that...the team won, but it was not pretty.) At night, we put the girls into their crates, lock the house up, and drive to Mike's friend Erik's house, where we are sleeping for the next month and a half until we can move into our house. In fact, we are sleeping in Erik's roommate's room. We haven't even met this person, but he offered to go stay somewhere else so that we would have a bed to sleep in.
At first, I won't lie, I was sort of weirded out by this. (And I hoped that his sheets were clean. They were, and the bed was also made.) The thought of living with two guys who I don't know all that well was really intimidating to me. But then I took a step back, and realized how lucky we are that people just kind of swoop in and take care of us when we need it. And besides, its only temporary. And its better than Mike getting in trouble for doing something "illegal." (Like living with his own brother. Some of these rules need to go. Seriously, how dumb?)
But you know what? I am just going to take it and continue to look forward to August 16. Because once that day comes, this 2010 roller coaster will end, and I'll be absolutely thrilled.


I'm SOOO jealous!! Haha!
ReplyDelete~Becky