I've been buried in piles of laundry for the past few weeks....and that's why I haven't posted. Seriously.
We FINALLY got alllll our stuff last Monday! It ended up being in storage just under eight months. Again, I'm totally serious.
Our first priority was setting up the washer and dryer. Now, I will tell you that every time I move, no, I do not wash every article of clothing, towel, sheet, blanket, etc. But because our stuff was in storage so long, it had a funky smell to it and Lord knows how many bugs and critters were climbing on it during its eight month hibernation in Alabama. So....Sarah did laundry. Lots of it. I should have kept a tally, but my 60-load bottle of detergent is more than half gone, so I put the estimate at close to 40 loads. In a week. Ugh, just thinking about it makes me sick. Never again.
Following this came my favorite (not) part: trying on all the clothes that had been in storage and deciding which ones were going in the "donate" box. Which, when you haven't seen your clothes in eight months, there is a LOT of trying on. Which takes for-ev-er. We currently have four moving boxes that are slam-full(that's a term I learned in the South....God love em!) of clothes, shoes, and books. I can't even close any of the lids.
Not to mention that in between every wash/dryer load change, I was running the dishwasher and hand washing to remove the grit that had accumulated on our dishes and utensils. (I am not doing housework for a month!)
I was able to throw some paint on a few walls before the movers came, and am really happy with my first-ever paint job. (There are a few mess-ups where the paint got under that painter's tape, and I will love you forever if you can just not notice it when you come to visit!) I did a tan color in the breakfast nook, grey in the downstairs bath, and a pale green in the master bedroom. I love the colors I chose, and even though everyone keeps telling me how much its going to stink to paint it all back, I guess I won't know how bad it stinks until I have to do it, right? Right. It still is a bit of a white cave, but we've started hanging things on the walls, so it is becoming "ours" slowly but surely. (Plus, I can always paint more if I decide the room needs a little something! Might be a good winter project...?)
Mike is happy because he got to fly today for the first time since he left New Mexico. He was not able to fly until he completed survival training and there was also some additional stuff he had to do here, and that is why it took so long. I am excited too, as you can see from the scientific equation below:
Mike + flying = Mike happy, Mike happy = Sarah happy
In a random turn of events, I started school this week. I'm just taking one class, Microbiology, but I am excited about it, as having school a few times a week will help to keep me on schedule. Being on a schedule is important, and a topic I will address in a post soon to come. You don't want to miss that train-wreck.
Crockett loves the home, though he misses Denali & Kenai being there to play with him all day long. I will say that his behavior throughout the unpacking process was surprisingly wonderful. Most days we were too tired after a long day of doing stuff (laundry) that he didn't get walked or played with, but he was very calm and has not destroyed anything since we moved in (knock on wood!).
Quick photo recap of the past few weeks:
| Mike painting in the nook area...how do I make the photo rotate? |
| Painting in the bathroom |
| I got to see both of my Grandma's when I was home a few weeks ago. I made knishes (delicious meat filled pastry appetizers) with my Grandma Betty. |
| Grandma Irma and me, prior to her surgery. The surgery went well, and she is being discharged today! |
| Asher loves sharing his food with the dogs! |
| Our new KING sized bed and bedroom set!!! It came today, just in time for my last coat of paint to dry on the wall! The headboard and foot board will be delivered soon. |

Glad to hear your Grandma's surgery went well. I meant to ask you about her and your visit when I called but I ran out of time. :( So thanks for your post!
ReplyDeleteAlso, your dresser with the mirror looks just like ours - and I LOVE it! :)
Glad you are moved you! It is great to hear from you. I know how exciting it is to get your stuff back after not having it for soo long! It is like an early Christmas:)
ReplyDeleteAsher is so cute! He totally looks like a baby Mike. Your kids will be so adorable. As for now I think I want to steal your nephew, does he have a passport?
ReplyDelete-Sarah G