Wednesday, September 22, 2010

In the name of Goodwill

So a week or so ago, I received a Herberger's (Montana version of Carson's) catalog in the mail. Correction. Emily, the girl who lived in this house before we did, got the catalog. I helped myself to it. (We're facebook friends, so I figured she wouldn't mind.) Said catalog was advertising a "Goodwill Sale" and it perked my interest.

For every item brought in to be donated to Goodwill over the sale period, the customer receives a 20% off coupon that is good on ALL regular and sale-priced items. Hmmm. This is what I like to call perfect timing, because two huge boxes packed to the brim with clothes and other stuff that I was meaning to take to Goodwill had been staring at me for the past few weeks. I was just too lazy to go drop it off. So I figured I would take it to Herberger's instead. I can do a little shopping in return for donating some stuff.

So last week Rebecca and I set out to donate my boxes. (You should know that it was snowing that day. Yes, SNOW. In mid-September. It is all melted now, but still. Craziness.) Somehow, we got the boxes in. I did not count my items beforehand, because I really did not think they would give me a coupon for EVERY. SINGLE. ITEM. The sales-woman asks, "How many items?" Unsure of how to respond, I say, "50, if not more." Which was no exaggeration. These boxes were STUFFED to the brim. In fact, there were probably MORE than 50 items. She painstakingly counted out 50 coupons, and much like cash, they burned a hole in my pocket.

We had a great day of retail therapy, Rebecca and I. Not that we went crazy or anything, as I still have a stack of about 40 coupons on my kitchen counter (the sale ends next week, so I might drag Mike back there for round two!), but let me tell you that it is much easier to buy things in the name of Goodwill than it is without the 20% coupon. For some reason, the purchases felt more....justified. Like I was helping out Goodwill by buying a pair of jeans, even though I know that's not the case. And the savings!!! (I always like to preface any conversation about shopping with, "Guess how much I saved?" To which Mike will say, "Well, how much did you spend?" Oh, the differences between men & women!)

The Scott family siblings drew names for Christmas over the weekend. I have Rebecca, and Mike has Steve. To the two of you, if you're reading this, don't be surprised if for Christmas this year, you receive a small kitchen appliance, duvet cover, or jeggings from us. I'm just saying.

2 comments:

  1. Sarah and Mike...HOW FUN to have a comment from you and to know that despite our lack of frequency in posts, you guys actually still follow! I just read through a handful of your posts. You just crack me up. I love how you blog about things! You guys seem like you are doing really well. Jon just loves Montana...we came close to possibly moving there, but know God led us to Colorado Springs. Anyway, great to connect with you again. Hope you will let us know if you guys are ever traveling through the Springs in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindsay! Awww, you just made my day! We ARE loving Montana, I feel like it will be a really good assignment. And I love catching up with your blog too...your kids are so stinkin cute! And that video! I'm still laughing about it. We're actually coming next weekend for the Navy/AF football game...super excited!

    ReplyDelete