Fall is probably my favorite season EVER. I love the cooler weather, pumpkin-flavored things, having big pots of soup or chili for dinner, coats, football, sweaters, fall drinks at coffee shops, boots, cuddling up in sweatpants, hot chocolate, the changing leaves, and the holidays associated with fall (including my birthday, which is TOTALLY a holiday). Moving to Montana was exciting because, to be honest, I missed fall and even winter. Mike and my last two autumn & winters were spent in the south, and due to my cold-weather Midwest upbringing, it was too hot to throw on a pair of sweatpants and read a book on the couch. A pot of soup caused the kitchen to overheat, (not to mention my favorite kitchen tool, the crock pot) and caused me to sweat. The leaves stay the same color all year round. The Southern natives, when it dropped to 40 degrees, pulled out their parkas and proclaimed how much they hated the cold, which made me question their sanity. I don't think I've worn a winter coat more than twice in the past two years for warmth...mostly I missed my cute cold-weather coat and didn't want it to think I had forgotten about it.
When we found out we were moving to Montana, there were many reasons for excitement, but I was thrilled to have "fall" again. When people cautioned my optimism, saying that I would grow to hate the constant cold and snow, and that I would be begging for Alabama humidity again (dream on people), I really didn't change my perspective. I love the cold weather, and I have really missed it! Our fall this year was gloriously long, and I began to crave the snow that I've been missing for the past two years.
Honestly, I was starting to have my doubts as to whether or not it actually snowed in this state. The weatherman has been predicting for the past few weeks that snow is going to start falling, but nothing. I figured that everyone up here had been lying to me, that it actually didn't snow at all. As it turns out, it does indeed snow in Montana. Our first snowfall (well, second...we had a day in September where it snowed about a half inch, but it melted by the end of the day) is currently underway and I'm thrilled. I love the first snow of the year: waking up to a world that is completely blanketed in white, that has been untouched by dogs or kids, and the trees look like they're covered in frosting. It looks magical.
The snow makes me giddy. I'm sure that in the next few months, I will grow to regret that statement. Bu for now, I. AM. SO. EXCITED.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment